Quick and tasty everyday meal made with simple ingredients. This is one of my family’s most requested meals. The kids get excited when I make this and usually ask for seconds! Yum!
Easy to pull together even when I’m in a time crunch and I often double the recipe to have some leftovers. See recipe notes for other tips and cook time adjustment for doubling the recipe.
I hope you enjoy this dish and have fun cooking!
Vietnamese Caramelized Chicken – Gà Kho
Servings: 3 – 4
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15-20 minutes
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoon water
- 3 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 green onions (including white part)
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 small bunch of cilantro
- Thai chili peppers or jalapenos * Optional but highly recommended
Wash and finely chop garlic, shallots, green onions and set aside.
Pat dry chicken with paper towel and slice into small pieces (about 1 inch thick, 4 inch long). Add salt, pepper, mix well and set aside.
To make caramel sauce – in a large skillet/wok,add water, sugar and gently stir to mix, heat on medium and let it cook for about 8 minutes. Once it starts to bubble, the caramelizing happens quickly, be careful not to burn.
When sauce is a nice caramel color (dark brown), immediately add oil and chopped shallots, garlic and onions, this helps prevent the caramel from burning. Add fish sauce, stir well and cook for about 3 minutes until tender. Add chicken, coat with sauce from pan, increase heat to medium high, cover and cook for 5 minutes. Remove lid, give it a quick stir and cook uncovered for another 7-10 minutes or until sauce is reduced down to a sticky caramel texture.
Remove from heat, let it rest for about 5 minutes for the sauce to cool down and thickens a bit more. Top with chopped green onions, cilantro. Served warm with jasmine rice, sliced cucumbers or your favorite veggies, including kimchi!
- Add whole chili pepper or jalapeno for heat when adding chicken to the sauce. Or enjoy with sliced peppers as topping. The spiciness adds a nice balance to the sweet and savory flavor.
- May sub with chicken breast but be sure to reduce the cook time by about 3-5 minutes to avoid overcooking.