Hi everyone. Thank you for your patience during my extended break from the blog. The plan was to take a pause after the holidays and start adding more recipes in February. Sadly the world took an expected turn and we are all faced with this terrible coronavirus pandemic. My hope by resuming I can help provide some options with simple ingredients for you and your family. And maybe this treat could be a bit of distraction and perhaps brings a smile to your day during this difficult time. Enjoy and stay healthy everyone!
First and foremost – Thank You healthcare providers, first responders, educators, childcare providers, grocery and food service workers, delivery drivers and all who are working hard for our community during this difficult time. Much love to their spouses, children and families for supporting them while they do what they do best. And to those who are doing your part with social distancing and staying home, thank you. Please keep doing the right thing, stay safe and stay healthy everyone!
Cooking and baking still happens fairly regularly in our house, though variety depends on available ingredients. I’m more selective of what I make these days, in an effort to preserve some of the things that are sold out quickly.
That said, you can make this treat using what you likely already have in your home. This banana bread is a hybrid of several recipes I’ve tried years ago and one we enjoy often. Simple and does not require a stand mixer or any special equipment. Super yummy and can easily be turned into tasty muffins. We like ours with sliced or crushed almonds on top which gives it a nice delicious crunch. Feel free to add your favorite toppings and enjoy with a cup of coffee, tea or a glass of milk 🙂
Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips
Servings: 8 – 10 (1 loaf )
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 50 – 60 minutes
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 large eggs (room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup sliced or crushed almonds (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Melt coconut oil in the microwave for 30 seconds and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, add all the dry ingredients, except chocolate chips, stir to combine.
- In a large bowl using a fork, pestle, cocktail muddler or stand mixer with paddle attachment; mash the bananas, add eggs, sugar, vanilla extract, oil and mix until everything is well combined.
- Using a spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into wet ingredients, about ½ cup at a time, add chocolate chips with the last of the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Careful not to over mix.
- Pour the batter into a greased or parchment paper-lined bread loaf pan. Top with almonds.
- Bake at 350° Fahrenheit for 50 – 65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 3 minutes or until cool enough to handle, remove from pan to a wire rack to cool completely before serving.
- Oven temperature varies – check with a toothpick around 45 minutes before continuing. Ours take 50 minutes with a convection oven setting.
- Makes 12 muffins. Fill the batter evenly into a greased or lined muffin pan, bake at 350° for 15 – 20 minutes.
- Vegetable oil, canola oil or room temperature butter also works well. If using butter – beat the butter for about 3 minutes until cream yellow, add eggs, sugar, vanilla extract and mix until combined before adding mashed bananas, then fold in the remaining ingredients.
- Almonds can also be mixed into the batter along with chocolate chips or just as topping
One thought on “Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips”
Making it this week!